Recipe: Almond Butter Quinoa Blondies!
Almond Butter Quinoa Blondies
Make 2015 the year of mindfulness. This includes mindful indulgences too! Switch up your recipes a bit and try something new and tasty. This Almond Butter Quinoa Blondie is made with quinoa flour, which you can find in the baking section or near the gluten-free flours in most natural grocers. If you’re feeling extra ambitious, make your own quinoa flour by using a clean coffee grinder to grind whole grains of quinoa into a powder.
These blondies have less than 150 calories per serving, and higher protein content than your average dessert. Replace the dark chocolate chips with dried fruit (I suggest dried apples or cranberries), and you will have a great breakfast side option. Embrace the theme of mindfulness by slowing down and enjoying every bite.
Makes: 24 blondies
Prep: 10 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup smooth or crunchy natural almond butter
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup quinoa flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips OR you can substitute your choice of dried fruit
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat an 8-inch-square baking pan with cooking spray and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Beat butter and almond butter in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer until creamy. Beat in eggs, brown sugar and vanilla. Whisk quinoa flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl. Mix the flour mixture into the wet ingredients until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips or dried fruit. Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with just a few moist crumbs on it, about 25 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 45 minutes before cutting into 24 pieces. Let cool completely before storing.
Recipe adapted from Eatingwell.com