6 Tips for Healthy Eating While Traveling
Travel is not always ideal for maintaining healthy eating behaviors. See below for 6 easy tips to avoid coming home and feeling like you need a cleanse!
1. Pack your first meal. Whether on the road or in the air, pack your first meal so you don’t have to eat the junk on the highway or in the airport. Yes, you can take food through security!
2. Bring a reusable water bottle. Refill it when you get through security or at the gas station. Preventing dehydration helps your energy level and prevents you from thinking you are hungry when it’s actually thirst.
3. Pack non-perishable snacks. Apples, nuts, beef jerky and some bars travel very well. I like Probars as a convenient meal replacement when on the run.
4. Workout. I know this isn’t eating-related, but we always eat better when we maintain regular exercise! Stay consistent.
5. Eat protein with every meal. Protein helps us feel more satisfied and less hungry; it also contributes to balanced and sustained energy. Maybe more importantly, this will keep you from reaching for the convenient, simple sugars that are nutritionally void.
6. Don’t forget about the grocery store. Just because you don’t need a week’s worth of groceries doesn’t mean that you can’t stock up on a few healthy staples. This is especially helpful on road trips.
Safe, healthy travels!